Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bootcamp? I am not talking about Jimmy Choo's

Yesterday, I clicked on Oprah for a minute while I was waiting for a conference call .. and she was talking about this "bootcamp" she had done for her staff and viewers/readers/listeners. I didn't get to watch more than about 5-10 minutes but was impressed about the philosophy. Let's face it. Oprah gets struggling with weight. She gets the wow I am in the skinny clothes and yikes ... now what do I wear cause that isn't fitting this week!

So I went to Oprah.com later to read up on this program of hers. I know as we all do weight loss is a recipe of determination, drinking water, eating the right amount of calories, and exercise. I think everyone that has ever had an issue with this will rank one of those four items as their demon. I was reading along and nodding my head saying okay that is nothing new when I read the following paragraph and it hit home. This wasn't the first time I had heard it. It wasn't the first time I acknowledged the idea. It is however, the underlying reason why I continue to struggle. My clients, family, pets, home, co-workers, home, strangers, and bad angel internal voice all come first sapping time away from this.

http://www2.oprah.com/presents/2005/bootcamp/commit/commit_oprah_d.jhtml

The first thing I told my team was, "I want you to think about why you're overweight. But let me save you a lot of time: The reason you're fat is that you give more to other people than you give to yourself, because you don't feel you're worth it." The bottom line is, you cannot lose weight until you make yourself enough of a priority to do the things you need to do to make it happen. People always say, "I'm too busy to exercise," "I have to be there for the kids," "I've got too much work." You know what? These are little lies you're telling yourself, and they go against the laws of self-preservation, because the more whole and healthy you are, the more fully you can give to other people. And that's the truth. I'm not asking anyone to abandon her children. I'm just saying: Put yourself at the top of the list so you can treat your body with as much care and respect as you'd give to someone else's—and when anyone needs something from you, you will be operating from a full cup.

Copied from Oprah.com TM & Copyright 2006 Harpo Productions, Inc. .... All Rights Reserved.

My challenge to lose the weight, get into shape and as a result be a better person in the long term comes down to this. Determination. I used to say it was water getting the water into me. That is a cop out. I give up too easily. This dosen't make sense because no where else do I allow this to happen in my life. Why do I let the part that will keep me around and healthy fail? I need to succeed here where I have in my career. I have an hour a day to exercise. Time to make sure it is slotted into the schedule. No excuses. What is your demon?