In my attempt to see the movies nominated for awards and trying to stay on an even keel during the move, I went to see Babel last night. This was the first artistically good Brad Pitt movie in years... since Legends of the Fall. Alright, I like the Oceans movies but they aren't done for the same reasons as this movie.
This was an understated All Star cast with Cate Blanchett (excellent as usual) and Ellie Fanning (Dakota's little sister) along with Mr. Jolie-Pitt. ( Yes, I am on Jennifer's side) The plot was very captivating and intelligently done. I loved the globalization of impact that small actions had on people in different societies.
It makes the point of the seven degrees of separation coming down to more like two or three. How a childish act can impact international diplomacy as can a gift or a wedding or hiring illegal immigrants. I did enjoy the mental exercise and again the audience at the Bethel Cinema. What a difference a venue can make!
With the house to myself tonight, I am going to pay per view Little Miss Sunshine. I think that leaves The Last King of Scotland and Letters from Iwo Jima. I am also quite taken with the trailer to Venus.
As a last note, I would encourage you to get to a cinema to see Babel. This probably won't be on extended basic cable with the amount of nudity of young adolescences in it. It isn't graphic but it is a bit disturbing. I would not encourage taking the under 16 crowd to it.
My vote is still for The Queen to win best picture. However, there isn't a stinker yet in the bunch. What a Movie year!!!