Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Great Night

I had a totally cool evening last night. My little ritual is to attempt to see as many of the Academy award nominees as possible... save last year.. Broke back cowboy .. well I just couldn't even go as an art thing.

Bethel Cinema is very quaint and delightful. Monday night all movies $5 and Tuesday night is "ladies night" all movies $5. Add popcorn and a medium soda and I still had change from my ten spot. I have already seen "The Departed" and "The Queen". Both excellent! My choice last night was between "Notes on a Scandal" and "Babel". Given it was Ladies night, I chose "Notes on a Scandal" - very good! I adore both Cate Blanchett and Dame Judi Dench! Honestly, the subject matter is rather disturbing but non the less an excellent film. Cate was a very different character than I have seen her play before. She continues to take on roles that match her age and is excellent with them. I do hope she gets the Oscar.

Dame Judi Dench was wonderful as usual. However, that is it. Although, I am not sure who else could have pulled off the role as well. It is the same bitchy brit school marm she is as "M" in the Bond pictures and as she playing in "Shakespeare in Love" as a older Queen Elizabeth I. So, I would have to give the nod to Helen Mirren as the reigning Queen Elizabeth, II in "The Queen". How wonderful to have such a great slate of movies this year after the dearth in 2005! Next week, "Babel" or "Letters from Iwo Jima" are on my list.

Got home and spent the evening on the phone with one of my dear friends from Georgia getting caught up on all the neighborhood and local news. Gosh, I miss them.

The house progress is coming along. I have hired movers. Researched cable, telephone, trash pick-up and the like.