Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Dump - The New Economy

Moving back to the Northeast has certain things that may or may not exist other places. We have yet to be blessed with Snow and true cold but we have had the luxury of return of dump trips or the new name "transfer stations".

The gentleman, Mike, that runs the one here in Bethel is truly delightful. A man among men especially when comparing him to the Dump Nazis in Milford. Shakey and the like. Now understand, the townhouse has garbage pick-up and we do put out the regular household trash weekly for them to take away. I have chosen to take our cardboard and recyclables to the "transfer station" after I got a letter about not bundling the cardboard correctly and not putting the recyclables in a "blue or Clear" bag.

Let me clarify this last point. I have to go "buy" blue or clear bags to throw away cans and bottles and string for the cardboard. Then be subject to weekly inspection to make sure I am doing it properly. Gee, looks like they had Spaghetti and a nice Chianti this week. Hmm, I wonder what they got from BikeNashbar or Amazon? Yes, I have caught a person in the neighborhood snooping around others garbage.

Instead, I get the pleasure of taking my cans, bottles, and other items with the little triangle on them to the Bethel Transfer Station. The permit isn't included with your taxes. I have to pay $30 a year for the privilege. However, the town gets the revenue from the cardboard, junk mail, and bottles. If I have an extra bag of trash, I take it as well. That is ... get this.. 8 cent a pound. I find that just weird but Mike's smile as he told me today.. "That will be $2.88 " tolerable.

For someone that has never had to go to such a place, it is an interesting trip. What is considered cardboard and not.... What is trash, burned, recycled... Milford, NH sells paper to the Parker Brothers to make Monopoly boards. Ever wonder what your wine bottle from New Year's would come back to you as that you pay for again?