Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sour Pill Going Down ....

On two fronts today, I made decisions that go against my grain. First, I gave in and called the doctor about the plague that has invaded my body for the last week. I am sick of coughing, sounding terrible and wondering when my nose is going to embarrass me. This is the side effects of just feeling lousy. We have good health insurance... A PPO from Blue Cross. This little trip to the doctor and pharmacy has just cost me over a hundred dollars in co-pays and prescriptions. While I was in the doctor's office two drug reps came in, you can always spot them .. They are the ones in the suits. The guy hocking (I can say this I am in sales and use to do this with temp help) something for diabetes... (this guy struck gold when getting a drug to pitch) was booking lunches for the entire 2007 calendar year with my doctor's office. I bet he strickly gives out sugar for Christmas presents in an endeavor to get everyone Type II! This always makes me question if I really need the prescription being given to me?? I wonder how much is medicine and how much is a racket?

The second stop was to infect the nice ladies at the voting booth. We had a referendum here about allocating another 7 Million and change to the fixing of the town high school. Two years ago, while I was snuggly paying less than 2k in property taxes in Georgia and had a brand new high school, the good people of my Connecticut town voted 25 million to fix the current high school in order to maintain the school's accreditation. Currently, they have determined it is really going to be another 7 to do the job right. Only 15 of the 32 million will be going to actual educational improvements. The other is to fix the physical plant and building. I have asked a number of people in town about this. I read the paper on Sunday and the letters to the editor. Sadly, I will tell you I pulled the level for yes to give them the Moo-laaa... Hopefully, this will allow them to start fixing it! My end result is that most of this expenditure is going to deferred maintenance and to come into step with new regulations. The longer we wait, the more it is going to be. The other nice thing in the paper is that the Police Station need to be overhauled as well in a couple of years... Just when the Middle School bond is paid off finally. Did I like doing this, NO! It just seemed that a new high school will improve property values. All the other high schools in the area have gone through this. If I want to sell the townhouse in the next five years, having an high school that is totally upgraded or on the way there will help. So this cheap daughter of a conservative Republican, voted in favor of the expenditure. I am still feeling light headed... or is it light walleted? My hope is the education at the high school is excellent and the children of my town will appreciate their new digs. - Yes, I just took my cough syrup and and am a bit loopy.