I sent this link off to a couple of my best friends and family members yesterday and got a phone call from an individual that qualifies under both catagories. Between the peals of laughter (not at the content but at me), calling me a geek and what the heck was I listing all of the books under my favorites ... when I read mostly trash novels. Yes... I do read them along with Business books, political books, and a lot of historical fiction... However, the premise was my favorite books.
Recently, Real Simple magazine had a reader question "What is your Favorite Book" - the responses were all over the map from Charlotte's Web to the Bible to Gift from the Sea.
When I think of favorite books, I think of those that I go back to and use over and over again. I also remember a line I think Hawkeye Pierce said in M*A*S*H .. His favorite was the Dictionary because all the other words were in it. ... Here are why I listed some of mine....
Roger's Thesaurus - I purchased my copy at the Oxford University Bookstore. I use it daily because I can't spell and have always loved words and it reminds me of my time at Oxford. I don't know how to spell something, I look up a word that means the same thing...
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare - I have seen 16 of his plays and read most of the others including the Sonnets. The book reminds me of my mother's love of Shakespeare and the Theatre and blessed me with the same passion for great writing and plays.
Emily Post - My grandfather gave me this book on Etiquette when I turned 20. I think it was the last gift that he picked out and personally gave to me. He wrote inside the book. I have always used it to set the table and figure out ways to handle difficult situations. It gives me the thought of "how would Grandma handle this" and the answer is always in the pages.
Getting to Yes - This is a book on negotiation. It was a text book and a best seller on the art of negotiation. Okay, where as I don't do foreign policy. Some of the customers requests and contract processes I go through are less stressful having read it over and over again...
Finally Better Homes and Gardens - The New Cookbook - I love this cookbook. Every great comfort food is in there. As well as what temperature to cook a Turkey and many many other receipes.... It is my never fail cookbook. However, rarely do I stick to a receipe in it without my own twist to it.
Currently I am reading three books - SeaBiscuit, The Martha Rules (business) and finishing a Nicholas Sparks book I bought in Vegas. Next on the pile after these is the Mayflower..
What are your favorites ? Hit the Comment tab!