Beyond my own job search, I wanted to comment on a couple of recent successes I have had prospecting using social applications to drive business for my company and self. This is going to be a down and dirty quick list without a ton on detail since I am still prospecting the companies:
Twitter: Have scheduled appointments and spoken with two large household name companies after engaging the appropriate people via Twitter. These contacts were introduced to me only because I either had originally commented on the company (in a good way) or had done a search for people that had the company name in their bio.
Facebook: Because I am a fan of another company on Facebook, I realized they were having a bit of a social PR nightmare on a given day. Rather than reach out with a sales pitch, I sent the contact an "At-ta-Girl" email complimenting her grace under pressure and overall savvy with social marketing. This also resulted in establishing a terrific conversation.
LinkedIn: A colleague of mine noticed a request for help finding an expert agency and consulting with a new product he was managing... they needed specifically information on social strategy. Again, this has resulted in a great first step ... he immediately trusted our company having previously worked with about 3 people now at Neighborhood America.
Only one of these relationships existed prior to Twitter, Facebook, and Linked In. As we speak, I have updated my various statuses about career openings at my company. With in minutes (like under 10), I was notified by two former co workers about candidates and will be sending me resumes.
It works .. if you work it....
ps. I have lost 3 lbs to date...