Monday, November 02, 2009

Lessons from The Great Pumpkin





Linus
: He'll come here because I have the most sincere pumpkin patch and he respects sincerity.
Sally Brown: Do you really think he will come?
Linus: Tonight the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch. He flies through the air and brings toys to all the children of the world.
Sally Brown: That's a good story.
Linus: You don't believe the story of the Great Pumpkin? I thought little girls always believed everything that was told to them. I thought little girls were innocent and trusting.
Sally Brown: Welcome to the 20th century!


Last week, I was pulled away from my computer at exactly 7:55 PM by my husband because "The Great Pumpkin" was going to be on TV. The King of the DVR was insisting nothing could be more important than my 30++ time watching this classic. You see, the Lord of Brannydoon is a raging Charlie Brown fan. We had Linus and Lucy music playing during the cocktail hour at our wedding reception.

As usual, life's most typical moments now are viewed with different eyes. This quote above is one of the stand outs, for three different reasons.

1) Sincerity - I thought about this for my customers and the difference is success with a social strategy and campaigns. When you are approaching building a marketing program to engage your customers, member, prospects, etc. Another word to evoke in your head is I need to be sincere with my audience. I need to care about them. Listening is going to be a key way to be successful as well as being sincere or human in my communications. Plainly, the Great Pumpkin will never come to a Pumpkin Patch that shows hypocrisy. Don't let your social communication be hypocritical!

2) Little Girls are trusting and innocent - The next day I traveled back to New England College to speak to a group of female students about "Women in Careers". We talked about the gender difference that still exists in the workplace. Some of the good things and some of the realities that are just a function of our gender. I can tell you these ladies are headed for real success. There were about 30 people there to hear the session. About half of them were underclasswomen. I congratulate them on being proactive to ensure the education they are paying for is going to lead to a path of success. They are trusting in themselves to make a difference.

3) Welcome to the 21st Century - The more things change the more the stay the same. The lessons from 1966 are very applicable today. Be sincere in your interactions and good things will come. Believe in yourself and your beliefs. Don't underestimate women and their convictions...

Even Linus learns a lesson!


Linus: [to Charlie Brown after Sally just ripped him a new one] You've heard of the fury of a woman scorned, haven't you?
Charlie Brown: Yeah, I guess I have.
Linus: Well, that's nothing compared to the fury of a woman who has been cheated out of trick-or-treats.