Friday, April 13, 2007

In Memory of the First Amendment

I am drawn to re-write the lyrics to the Don McLean song "American Pie". Yesterday, the first amendment died. As I type this on Friday the 13th, the date sticks in my head. Finding out that the "right" thing to do is fire a man with a long term career over a fire storm on a slow news day. Yes, he had an error in judgement and said the wrong thing that was awful, nasty, and hurtful. Sexism and Racism should not have a place in society. However, until we reach that utopian society, I am afraid a lot worse is said daily.

When it is uttered, we would hope that the person in error would conduct themselves the way Mr. Imus did. He has apologized. As a result, I see him as a man willing to admit his mistakes, own up to the responsibility and ask how to make it right. It seems that tries to use his fame and privilege of position to raise money for children... I am confused.

I am also grateful I don't have to explain this to my kids. I feel for any parent that is having to explain the entire situation to a child. Here is the Aesop solution to this Fable:

Sometimes doing the right thing frees you from the constraints of a morally corrupt system, but damages the communities ability to have the freedom it deserves.

Freedom of Speech and the Press is officially dead. Long live the freedom of consumerism and to be a coward.

So here is my attempt at the obituary:

The first amendment was conceived along with its' nine other amendments in September 1789 when the congress approved their adoption to the Constitution. Being born in 1791 after the ratification of the States, they have become the most quoted and recognized parts of the Constitution in the 216 years of existence.

Yesterday, the First Amendment finally succumbed to it injuries and illnesses from it life time. It is not clear how many of the rest of the Bill of Rights are still really in existence. Services will be a private matter and donations can be made the Imus Ranch in New Mexico.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/funddocs/billeng.htm