Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Marketing money ... When does it impact decisions?

I have been making a round robin to a number of doctors lately for both my own needs and my husbands. At my appointment on Monday, I was struck with the amount of stuff that was branded from drugs. These are drugs that are advertised on TV regularly. It made me feel like the doctor was for sale. When does it cross the line? Here is a sample of the items that had logos blazed all over them:

  • Tissue box
  • Clip board for forms
  • Hand-santizer bottle
  • Anti Bacterial Soap dispenser
and the kicker...
  • the paper sheet that goes down the exam table...

Thankfully, these drugs don't apply to me or my problem. However, it did make me feel a bit weird about the office and their ethics. Yes, I plan on bringing it up with my primary care doctor. Has this ever concerned you?