Tuesday, July 29, 2008

When is Clean ...clean enough?

Confession:

I get panicked about the appearance of my home prior to having a certain sect of people visit me. Typically, these are people that:
A) Don't have pets... especially hairy dogs
B) Don't work outside the home (currently or ever)
C) Have young children

Why?

A) I can live with the tumbleweed of dog hair that appears between my weekly fight with the Oreck but I don't have a clue how others do it... I have given in to the work / life balance that life is messy but haven't gotten over I care about other's opinions of me yet.

B) Since I work remotely from home, some have the impression that it is easy for me to get everything done. WRONG!! I may be able to slip in a 10 AM run to the dry cleaners easier but I am working from 7AM to 7 PM often and the draw of my lap top and clients will always beat out the laundry mound or vacuum beast.

C) We don't have children. Our house is set up for adults and dogs. I worry about all the PC stuff that is suppose to enable kids never to experience pain and that they are closer to those hair balls than the rest of us.

That being confessed, I LOVE having company. I love to entertain and fairs' fair... I like the motivation and valid business reason to scrub the shower and door jams.

I like knowing what delights my guests. For example, my dad would be a home baked sugar free dessert. My best friend would be flowers in her room and a pile of magazines she hasn't read yet along with a shot of tequila. My good friend and house sitter loves having her shampoo in the guest bathroom. My nephews love the lolly pops, teddy grahams and matchboxes.

So as I am waiting for guests to arrive this week, if I answer the phone like a grump... tell me to put down the sponge.... everything is going to be okay....