Last week was very hard to say the least. Probably, the less said the better. It will be announced today that the global leader in events has purchased the event and event community assets of my company. They did not take the people just the assets for the most part. I sat in my home office wondering if I had a job for a while on Tuesday. I was one of the lucky few that would be staying on to grow the enterprise community business.
While it was tough, VERY TOUGH to say goodbye to extremely good hard working people last week, I know they will all find themselves in positions that will give them more room for growth and making a lot more d'argent than was possible.
In retrospect, we were a company that was a conjoined twins. Having different futures, thoughts, and products while sharing vital organs. We have the possibility of thriving and growing to our full potential as individuals but would stagnate while sharing common assets but not a vision.
In the end, regardless of my employment status, it was the correct move for the company. We could not longer flounder on the verge of turning the corner. Each business unit was holding back the other from a bright future.
My future is a bit undefined as of this post. I have accepted a role in the new company as part of the sales team. What that exactly means - IDK (I don't know). What is my title? IDK ... Will I be traveling to Boston more frequently? IDK! Is this the right choice? IDK!
I do know this. "IT" is a cutting edge idea. We have a tremendous pipeline. We are nimble and have a team dedicated to success. I know that my VP wouldn't be sticking around if he didn't believe this was going to be great for his career and family. I trust that to be the case. If it isn't ... I may be right where I thought I was last Tuesday. However, I will have a new experience and great story. It is both a leap of faith and perhaps the safest course. It is both the path less traveled and with the surest footing.
I am excited about the new horizons. My life certainly hasn't been boring in the past years. Stability is only for the dead and the dying. I am neither.